Lip fillers - first time guide
So you are doing it! Congratulations. This is a guide for first time lip filler clients on how things work, what to expect, and how to keep them looking good!
First and foremost, everyone is different, different aesthetic goals, different lip structure, different metabolism, different genetics, different risk factors, etc. Do NOT compare yourself to someone else, you are your own lip, your own architecture, your own volume, be proud of your uniqueness! It's what makes us different.
How long does it take?
- 10 minutes of topical numbing
- 10 minutes of procedure
Is it painful?
- Most clients have minimal discomfort, on a scale of 1-10, they are a 2-3. This is less painful than laser hair-removal, thanks to our unique numbing technique!
How swollen will I be?
- Everyone is different, some people swell up while others do not, swelling depends on multiple factors. Just because you didn't swell one time, does not mean you will not swell the next time you do a treatment. Sometimes an anti-swelling medication will be given after your injection. We can address this at the time of the visit. Major swelling typically lasts less than 4 days on average, while minor residual swelling can last 14-21 days.
What about bruises?
- Some people are pre-disposed to bruise, avoiding vitamins, alcohol, and ibuprofen type products can decrease the chances of a bruise. Bruising comes in three sizes: Small (like the tip of a needle), medium (like the back of pencil eraser or two pencils erasers), and large (gum-ball sized). Depending on the type of bruise they can last 2-3 days or up to 2 weeks respectively. Arnika pills can be purchased during your visit that can help heal bruises. From time to time a laser can be used to speed up the process if warranted for specific cases.
How long does it last?
- Typically lip injections last 6 months depending on multiple factors including product used. I've seen people that have had fillers lasting as little as 2 months and as much as 1 year.
Will I have to keep on doing the procedure?
No! You can stop doing your lips any time and they will slowly return to near normal. The skin will not "stretch out". Some people do their lips every 4 months to keep them extra juicy, while others elect to do them every 6-8 months. This is a personal preference and will need to be decided along the way.
I don't know what product to use.
- I typically recommend the juvederm line of products there are two main types for lip volume, juvederm ultra plus xc and juvederm ultra. Depending on your aesthetic goals and lip structure we can select what is right for you. New Generation Juvederms include volbella (typically for older clients) and vollure. These will be discussed in person if necessary for your treatment.
I've heard about people having bumps...
- Unfortunately bumps do happen! If a doctor tells you that bumps never happen, be cautious, they do happen but it is not VERY common. Most bumps are small resolving bruises or some of the product. Usually you can massage them out after 2 weeks time, otherwise small droplet injections of a dissolver can be used in rare-instances to help get rid of these bumps
It looks un-even....
- This is rather common! Not to worry, usually swelling accounts for the majority of this, swelling can be worse on one side than the other, let all the swelling come down (7-14 days in most cases) and then re-evaluate the symmetry, 95% of the time this self resolves.
When can I go back to normal activities?
- After about 24hrs you can resume normal activities
Can I fly after the procedure?
- Yes, but keep in mind that flying makes you dehydrated so try to avoid salty foods and drink tons of water.
When Can I work out?
- You can return to normal activities the next morning, avoid rubbing your lips vigorously, eating very hot foods, and chew carefully the day of the procedure.
What can I do to keep them looking great?
- I recommend a topical vitamin C based cream from skinceuticals for adequate hydration, drink 8 glasses of water a day, and avoid repetitively biting or "mashing" your lips together as this makes the product dissolve faster.